PENTAGON aims at paving the way for a new generation of eco-districts, leveraging on enhanced energy conversion systems and a high level integrated management platform simultaneously acting on different energy carriers (thermal, gas and electric).
The core of the project is formed by the development of two ground-breaking technologies:
- An innovative power to gas technology at the district level.
- An intelligent, versatile and service based IoT (Internet of Things) platform for holistic, multi-vector energy management.
PENTAGON address the European need to develop and mature the next generation of competitive technologies and services for the electricity distribution grid at medium and low voltage levels, which are clearly going beyond the state of the art and will be ready to integrate the market in a five to ten years’ period. These technologies and services should enable advanced solutions for demand-response, smart grid, storage, and energy system integration while respecting the needed stability and security in the context of an increasing share of variable renewable energy sources in the electricity grid.
PENTAGON main impacts are:
- Enable higher penetration (min. +25%) of renewables in distribution grids through enhanced synergies between electric, gas and thermal networks, leveraging power to gas technology and power to heat district-level strategies.
- Revenues generated from district flexibility to increase by 15 to 20%, thanks to multi-scale multi-vector energy management with holistic consideration of energy production, load and storage.
- Empowering European smart district managers to successfully implement local energy aggregation businesses, allowing for the generation of additional revenues from district flexibility trading and reduced energy costs for local consumers.