Motivation & Impact
With a concept of federated energy communities, FEDECOM unlocks the flexibility potential, enable energy exchange, and provide coordinated actions across near and remote sites, while maximizing the positive impact on grid transmission level. FEDECOM’s integrated package will be verified on three real large-scale pilots, each composed of multiple (federated) demo sites (communities): Spanish Virtual Green H2 Federation, Swiss Residential Hydropower Federation and BENElux cross-country e-Mobility Federation. After FEDECOM, local energy communities and service providers will be fully trained and upskilled via dissemination and engagement activities to take full ownership of FEDECOM solution and its business ecosystem.
The key outcome and impact of the project include: 1)Economic benefits for stakeholders and valorisation of optimal operation and unlocked flexibility.
2) FEDECOM solution and multi-layered federated SoS approach will be demonstrated and verified at 3 large-scale project pilots under relevant operational and business scenarios.
3) Improved planning and consolidated methodology for OPEX and CAPEX impact assessment validation.
4) Environmental life-cycle assessment of feasible RES-based and sector coupling configurations under different operational strategies.
5) Improved grid resilience and stability.
6) Planning tool exploited for replication and business planning at 3 project “followers” .
Role of R2M
R2M is involved in this project on several diversified activities which include project management supporting the technical coordinator Veolia and innovation/knowledge management.
In addition to these tasks, R2M will be responsible for the integrative optimization and data analytics for multi-layered federated “”System of Systems”” and will lead the activity of dissemination, communication and exploitation to contribute to results sustainability and replication