Motivation & Impact
Energy storage is a key component in providing flexibility and supporting renewable energy Integration in the energy system and can efficiently contribute to the decarbonisation of buildings. A promising research area is to exploit compact hybrid energy storage systems for covering space heating and/or cooling, Domestic Hot Water, and electricity demand. The overall impact is to enhance energy savings, leading to reduced greenhouse gas emissions and fossil fuel utilization, thus contributing to the EU energy security. HYBUILD will contribute to produce robust and innovative energy storage solutions presenting the following characteristics and advantages:
– Cost-effectiveness supported by advanced economic and business models for investors;
– High replicability potential to ensure an important market penetration;
– Easy integration (compact solutions) into existing buildings/systems;
– Extended solution life time;
– Superior energy performance contributing to the overall energy system flexibility;
– Reduction of building energy consumption and greenhouse gases.
HYBUILD innovations will be validated in three demo sites in Almatret (Spain), Aglantzia Municipality (Cyprus) and Bordeaux (France).
Role of R2M