Motivation & Impact
Energy storage is a key component in providing flexibility and supporting renewable energy Integration in the energy system and can efficiently contribute to the decarbonisation of buildings. A promising research area is to exploit compact hybrid energy storage systems for covering space heating and/or cooling, Domestic Hot Water, and electricity demand. The overall impact is to enhance energy savings, leading to reduced greenhouse gas emissions and fossil fuel utilization, thus contributing to EU energy security. HYBUILD contributed to produce robust and innovative energy storage solutions presenting the following characteristics and advantages:
– Cost-effectiveness supported by advanced economic and business models for investors;
– High replicability potential to ensure an important market penetration;
– Easy integration (compact solutions) into existing buildings/systems;
– Extended solution life time;
– Superior energy performance contributing to the overall energy system flexibility;
– Reduction of building energy consumption and greenhouse gases.
HYBUILD innovations have been validated in three demo sites in Almatret (Spain), Aglantzia Municipality (Cyprus) and Langenwang (Austria).
Role of R2M
R2M led both dissemination, communication and exploitation activities within the HYBUILD project. Communication activities included the definition of an internal and external communication strategy, development of the public project website, management of an HYBUILD FlipBoard incorporating the outcomes from HYBUILD’ market watch activities. Dissemination and exploitation activities included the development of the dissemination and exploitation plan, of a Data Management Plan (DMP, a document which specifies which data from the project are made public and how), definition of the HYBUILD business model(s), management of the project stakeholder advisory board, support for patent filing, and elaboration of a partner exploitation agreement.